Welcome back and today we will be discussing about Harley, Mage Genius. Harley is a powerful mage with huge burst, mobility, powerful roamer, jungler with doable damage. Harley's gameplay is very slightly different among the others, he is tricky and cunning. Harley has the potential to hard-carry games by roaming and ganking in the early games to get huge gold lead than the enemy team. Let's proceed further with Harley's capabilities.
There lived a famous young mage – Harley in the Lion Academy of Magical City. He is blessed by the Magical Goddess and as the star of the Academy, he is able t learn quickly and master any magical speel. Kids need adventure when Harley and his friends were exploring the jungle in the middle of the night, they overheard the evil conspiracy of the organization called Dark Wizards. The brave young me decide to stoop them. First, they need to find the secret base of Dark Wizards and report to the headmaster. But during the investigation, he accidentally activated the space portal and teleported to the other side of the Land of Dawn – Scholar City. With the help of the mecha master – Rooney, the brave and energetic boy and his partner Lolita, Bruno, Alpha and Saber went back to the Magical City to destroy the core of Demorte, the Boss of Dark Wizards. To improve his battle techniques, Harley started his adventure in the Land of Dawn.
- This passive scales with attack damage and magic power, it's a damage boost to your basic attacks for clear speed or in battle.
- Extremely short cooldown when maxed CDR
- Very strong and high damage, aiming can be tricky
- Takes time to get used of the ability, you can move while casting this ability/shooting 3 rounds of cards but the direction won't change
- Attack speed bonus + Magic Master (Passive) helps a lot in clearing jungles
- Recommended to manually aim
- Can be blocked by monsters/minions easily when you are engaging an enemy hero
- Always max this ability first
- Very short cooldown, powerful mobility ability
- Recommended to manually aim
- A flicker + movement speed bonus
- Can be a problem if you teleport back into a bad position
- Great kiting ability
- The ultimate basically increases the hitbox of an enemy target for your Poker Trick, easier to hit.
- This ultimate works like an execute, except that you use it first, deals damage with Poker Trick and basic attacks, and another huge damage burst based on enemy HP loss.
Pros & Cons
- Good clearing speed, can be a powerful jungler
- Huge burst
- Decent crowd control
- Great ganker and roamer
- Very short cooldown and very mobile
- Great kiting
- Weak before level 4
- Requires to manual aim
- Both first skill and ultimate can be blocked
Items & Spells Explained
I've tried different items for Harley and the current build (3rd Row) is the best by far. There will be explanation below.
Harley based spell damage is extremely high, he has enough damage to do doable damage and constant damage which means he would need more magic penetration and utilities to improve his kit. These items works extremely well and scales better than other items. It is not required to get more pure magic power damage items such as Holy Crystal.
Star Shard- Cooldown reduction, a little bit of mana and magic power. The passive on this item is what makes it so important, the slow is very good on Harley as Harley doesn't have powerful crowd controls. Helps gank a lot easier and faster jungle clearing speed. Recommended to get first.
Magic Shoes- !0% CDR , not much to say
Enchanted Talisman- Almost every mage needs it. Total of 40% maxed cdr so far.
Concentrated Energy- Magic power and HP with Spell vamp. This item makes you extremely powerful in teamfight, increases your survivability by a ton.
Devil Tears- Magic Pen and Magic Power, as we discussed earlier, more utilities and magic pen, scales extremely well with Harley's abilities.
Glowing Wand- The game usually ends before full items but just in case, Glowing Wand is very good on Harley especially on late game vs tanks.
The one and only Retribution. Why?
Retribution gives you slow on your jungle item when upgraded, which is very good on ganking lanes. Clear your jungle way lot faster, gets gold lead and level lead. Everything you need to snowball the game. Not much spell is useful for Harley.
Early Game, start with a jungle item, follow up with some magic necklaces , one or two and then boots. Follow up with Star Shard and so on. You might wanna start top all the time, clear the jungle > back to lane > clear the first wave > blue > and all the way jungle. Whenever you are 4, gank any lane whenever you see a chance. The routine would be lane> jungle> gank > clear lane> jungle> gank > repeat (something similar like that). You don't want to stay in the lane too long, it would be a time wasting. Gank and roam as much as possible but don't be left out from the game. Start with Deadly Magic (Ultimate) whenever you start ganking.
Mid-End Game, since you are very mobile, you can split-push and try to catch an enemy carry off-guard, whenever you did that, it's usually a win-win situation. As a Harley, the game usually ends really quick due to your mobility and presence around the map, carries the team and get them high gold lead early on. If it's a 5v5 teamfight, you can spam your first ability, Poker Trick as much as possible, get yourself into a save position, behind your team. Don't bother using basic attacks, unless you are 100% safe.